1 LiveBloggin' the ICW: A Goderich Surprise....

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Goderich Surprise....

There I was, standing in the companionway, trying to find a perfectly good - or even reasonably good - excuse to not get out the 800 grit and sand down the interior of the cockpit and then wax it. I've been planning on doing this job for a while now - a long while actually. Too long if the truth were known...
The argument with my conscience was getting heated and it seemed like the job was going to get done today, no suitable excuse being found. I'd already written an article for SAIL, done a proposal for another article, sent them both in and updated some other work. There wasn't anything left undone.
Then, I saw a pair of legs, no, make that two pairs of legs, standing on the dock, everything from the knees up being blocked by the bimini. What's this about, since I'm on a commercial dock and there's no traffic here?
Those legs belonged to Al and Susan, who are readers of this blog from this area and who came down to say hello. What a fabulous surprise. Not only did I get to meet two neat sailors and enjoy their company, I did not have to muck out that cockpit now. I had a perfect, guilt-free excuse to not do what I should be doing - sort of like fat free cherry cheesecake, or great tasting non alcoholic beer.
Ok, that third one doesn't really exist, but you get my meaning, and I refuse to believe that cherry cheesecake isn't good for you. 
Al and Susan are now in the last stages of getting ready to go cruising themselves, with Susan's job ending mid next year. They tell me their intentions are to enrich a variety of marine retailers at the Toronto Boat Show this January, since Susan will still have an income, and there's still lots of boat stuff they need. I didn't have the heart to tell them that that aspect of cruising will never change...
Anyhow, Al and Susan, thanks for the visit! I can use all the pleasant surprises like that I can get. I'll look forward to seeing you at the Toronto Boat Show in January, and on the water next summer....AND....down south the winter after that!
The winds have been howling today, making it very pleasant to be tucked up here in the harbour, and it looks like I won't be heading out tomorrow as hoped for, since the winds (I just checked now) are predicted to be S 25 - 30. Why does that not surprise me? Tuesday looks like the day to go, with winds going into the NW, making Sarnia do-able.
Al, if you get this and you aren't busy tomorrow, I forgot to get your email and give you and Susan my card. Drop by for lunch if you're free.