1 LiveBloggin' the ICW: Tahiti Teasing....

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Tahiti Teasing....

I know, I know...I promised to tell you all about cruising in Tahiti. Then I got here to Annapolis, and caught up in the social whirl with my many good friends. Since it's about time to sober up - er, take a break, now seems a good time to tell you about Tahiti.
Simply put, everything you've ever heard about how beautiful Tahiti is - is true, but times 10. It's that spectacular. 
I was about to leave for South Africa in 2010 on an assignment for SAIL Magazine when I got an email from my editor: "Would you like to go to Tahiti?" What kind of a question is that? Of course I do. I've never typed 'yes' and hit 'send' as fast as I did then.
SAIL wanted me to cover the Pearl Regatta, which coincidentally has just finished this year. This regatta is one of the world's top regattas for cruising boats, with entries of nearly every conceivable type of boat.
______________________________________________________

$15 Off Orders Over $200 from WestMarine.com!
Use Promotional Code: WMAFF (*Restrictions Apply)

______________________________________________________
For example, in this video (click here), the yellow boat you see is a ferro cement boat that was one of the top performers, but there were even boats under 30 feet racing.

Here's another video of the event, taken when I was there...
I just went looking for photos of the event for you - found a blog from Tahiti - and darned if the article on the event they linked to wasn't my own, in SAIL - here's the link - SAIL article.
As you read in the SAIL article, one of my crew was a Japanese sailing writer - well, guess who ended up on the cover of Japan's national sailing magazine? Yup, you got it. Isn't that a hoot? The Japanese magazine cover is shown below in the photos.
Ok, that's it for today, more photos next post...enjoy!

Two of the crew...
This is what Tahiti is all about...
Bora Bora in the background, and look at the colour of the water...
The sailing was fabulous....
Can you believe it?