1 LiveBloggin' the ICW: Biscayne Bay - turquoise waters at last...

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Biscayne Bay - turquoise waters at last...

Enough of the f-u insanity of Miami Beach - you walk the streets and no one - I mean no one - nods and says hello back to you unless they're a tourist. What's wrong with these folk? They live in a beautiful city, so much wealth, and beautiful weather, and 90% of them walk around with an unhappy look on their faces. Even in the neighbourhood near where I had the boat parked it was the same.
The only straight guys seem to be tourists, and all the local women have silicone jobs. That might be ok for some, but you know, 'perky' doesn't look good on a seventy year old woman, it just looks weird. There's something to be said for aging naturally.
So here I am now, in Hurricane Harbour, at the end of Key Biscayne, in Billy Baggs State Park. It's not even ten miles out of Miami Beach, but with beautiful turquoise water, lots of fellow boaters around, sunny and warm. When I got here yesterday, a local yacht club had a big tent up, a jazz band playing and lots of good times. This is much more like it!
And the really good news is, there are about a half dozen Canadian boats here - I just may find someone with some Tim Horton's coffee.
46 miles to paradise's front door.....Bimini, the Bahamas
Many of the people here are either just leaving for or just returning from the Bahamas - this is a good spot to stop and wait for good weather, or to take a break. Tonight and tomorrow's weather will be fabulous for the trip - winds 10 - 15 out of the south, which means a great ride across the Gulf Stream to Bimini, about 46 miles away.
Route leaving Hurricane Harbour for the Bahamas

A little bit of the Bahamas...


Hopefully, the above chartlets give everybody an idea of where I'm at, and where I'll be shortly...
I'll also soon be putting new batteries in the boat, the current ones (yea, I know, bad pun) aren't holding a charge very well. There goes a fast $400 or so. I'm just waiting on some advice on the right batteries to buy (hint hint to one of my readers, lol)...
Tomorrow, I'll walk about a half mile or so to the shops for groceries...and wine. Ran out of wine. Damn! How could I have let that happen?