1 LiveBloggin' the ICW: ..and you think I'm crazy? Well....

Friday, November 16, 2012

..and you think I'm crazy? Well....

...how about this guy? He's actually rowed his 21 foot sailboat the entire Erie Canal - that's 338 miles. He started his trip from Detroit, sailed across Lake Erie - and he sailed it, since he doesn't have a motor. I'll be chatting with him tomorrow morning over coffee to get the details, but in the meantime, I thought you'd enjoy this photo. Oh, yes, he had an English Bull Terrier - about a 60 pound dog - on board this small boat with him, the boat's name is Junkyard Dog.....ought to be an interesting coffee tomorrow.
Yep....those are oars......


As for myself, I'm in Waterford NY at the bottom end of the Erie Canal. Had dinner with my friend John, who lives not far from here, then he was good enough to take me around for some shopping. He's a cruiser himself, just taking a few years off to raise kids - well, actually, I think he's raising money to raise the kids and put them through college, I"m sure you know what I mean.
I just made arrangements today to have the mast stepped in the Catskills, and then it's south to New York and the New Jersey coast, where I'll see firsthand the damage done by Hurricane Sandy. According to the boating industry, some 65,000 boats were damaged to the tune of $650 million. Like I said earlier, ought to be some good deals out there for someone wanting a boat for cheap and with the skills to do the repairs.
My big concern on the NJ coast will be anchoring in the Manasquan and Barnegat areas - who knows what's on the bottom now. I could find myself putting my anchor through the roof of someone's house! Then of course, since all of the marinas have suffered some damage - and some were completely destroyed, I'll have to worry about fuel and water supplies. It's going to be a challenge to say the least.
More later....I'm off to dreamland. Have a great day everyone, don't work too hard on those spreadsheets and so on...