1 LiveBloggin' the ICW: Down the Chesapeake...

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Down the Chesapeake...

Yesterday, I decided I'd had enough of living on the dock, so I headed out to the anchorage on the opposite side of the peninsula - and was rewarded with the most magnificent sunset...and then, this morning I got up at o'dark 30 and was rewarded with a spectacular sunrise - but didn't have a camera handy for that. Hey, I've almost never in my life done a sunrise sunset thing unless I stayed up all night, whadda ya expect?
So today, left for Hampton VA at the south end of the Chesapeake. The original plan was to wait for a northwesterly breeze, and sail down, but the weather pattern shifted from Monday to late Wednesday, with stiff southerlys predicted, so I decided the heck with it, I'll motor - and motor we did. A nice day, warm...and am now docked in Hampton at the Public Pier. 
Ran into a friend, Bill, and his wife Leslie, from a couple of years back, sailed his boat from Alaska - the boat's name? Bye Polar. Don't you just love that?
There are actually quite a few boats out there heading south, even this late. I saw five other sailboats, plus a trawler today. I expect I'll see still more once on the actual ICW and start making more new friends, like Stan and Elizabeth, out of Vermont on Dream Walker, or AJ, in a 35 Endeavour. It just keeps getting better and better...
I'll be hanging out here tomorrow, then heading out again on Tuesday for the mile zero of the ICW.