1 LiveBloggin' the ICW: Polar Vortex...Sorry About Your Luck...

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Polar Vortex...Sorry About Your Luck...

Oh, the weather outside is frightening....I mean, there's snow - well, a snowflake or two in Georgia, but I have yet to hear reports of any crossing the Florida state line. This, of course, is why I travel south every winter. After nearly 50 years in central and Northern Ontario, I finally figured it out - spending five to six months of every year shovelling snow, looking at snow, cursing snow, praying for it to leave, I decided I had to get out. That's when I bought my boat...
Oh, I did make an attempt prior to that. One year, I decided in November I would ride my motorcycle to Florida from Ontario, leave it at a friend's place and fly down to it a few times over the winter, then return north with it in the spring. I was all set to leave on Saturday - and the previous Tuesday, it snowed. I can't begin to tell you how upset I was - I rolled the bike to the street, fired her up, put her in gear and promptly found myself underneath a 780 pound object.
I can't begin to tell you how upset I was that entire winter.
I'm aware that there are still some snowbirds heading south, not yet as far as Florida in this, the worst year for cold in the ten years I've been doing this. I'm hoping they're tied to a dock tonight, with a heater plugged in. And there are those who are living aboard in places like Port Credit, outside of Toronto, which is really cold, or in Annapolis, where the above photo was taken by my friend Mike - I swiped this pic from his Facebook page. You've got to really love boating to live aboard in these conditions.
A quick update on the Cruisers' Hangout - A Night with the Experts - since this amazing webinar featuring the top cruisers in the world - the Pardeys, Neals, Shards, Liza Copeland, Pamela Bendall, Tania Aebi...we've had nearly 900 views - that's on top of the 175 who attended the live event - on youtube. I'm working now on editing the production, and adding a ten minute interview with - well, that would be telling, but it's an exciting and interesting interview with one of cruising's big BIG names.
If you haven't seen this webinar yet and your goal is to go cruising, you can view it HERE. I'm working now on our next Cruisers' Hangout, but if there's a specific topic you'd like us to cover, let me know through the comments or via the Contact Form on this page.
Until then, stay warm. Or join me, here in Florida, cruising south on the ICW.